Translate

Wednesday 16 September 2015

REVIEW: THEFACESHOP Air Cotton Makeup Base SPF 30 PA++ in 01 Mint

Hello Cosmetics Lovers!!!

This time, I'm gonna review a makeup primer.  

It's another first for me. It's true I've reviewed other products that could act as a primer as a secondary use, like the cushions, powder, creams, but never a product whose sole use was a primer. It is a product which already made a guest appearance in one my previous posts (See HOLIDAYS SERIES: Hitting the Beach-What's in my makeup pouch?).



It's THEFACESHOP Air Cotton Makeup Base SPF 30 PA++, which I bought for Rs 195, which is very affordable. It was available in two types only 01 Mint and 02 Lavender. The 01 Mint is to neutralise redness and for acne prone skin, while 02 Lavender is to brighten the skin tone. That's what the sales rep told me. 




Before actually going to the store, I already knew I would end up buying the 01 Mint as I knew green based makeup neutralises redness and hell, I have redness, blemishes and acne on my face. Also, it has SPF 30 ++ (Bring it on Scorching Mauritian Sun!!!), which is reasonable but maybe not enough. Always better than nothing.

The package is really simple, white and a tint of mint green. It looks pretty much like pharmaceutical stuffs rather than packaging for a makeup base. I've seen other packaging for primers and they are usually minimalist in that area. (I wonder why?).  It doesn't come in a packaging box and is sealed in a plastic film like most THEFACESHOP tube-like products.

What it does

Back View

Close-up on Ingredients and instructions
It's supposed to be used after right after skincare and as the first step while applying makeup.

When I first squirted the product in my hand, I thought it looked like toothpaste or mint froyo. Too much product came out which was quite a bother since a lot of product is not required for the whole face. It was mint green and I apprehended the fact that my face might looked like I had one of those green clay face masks on. It has a very subtle mint smell.

Swatch

Blended in, my skin looks paler
This one is my hand taken with flash photography. Ok, it might look that there isn't much difference. But the primer does make my skin more glowy and dewy, less matte if you prefer. I'm a ghost with flash photography whichever way :P On my face it looks worse.

However, the product is magic. Don't be fooled by the packaging. My face wasn't mint green like Jim Carrey in The Mask. lol It blended well into my skin and was absorbed like real quick, leaving it moisturised, dewy and glowy. It is not sticky at all and I don't really feel any thickness on my skin. Regarding redness, my skin tone was uniform and even. The primer stays on for a long time and makes my makeup lasts as well. Wore it to a whole-day event at work today :) Did a pretty good job. Moreover, it doesn't break me out later on.

My main qualm, however, is that it does leave a white cast on my face. Under standard lighting or sunlight, it's alright to wear it. My face looks even and normal, maybe a little whiter than usual. To be honest, I'd look like a Chinese tourist in Mauritius and I'm very often mistaken with one. However, even with layers of makeup, my face looks like I got a flour bomb on my face in dim light or like a ghost with flash photographyI'd rather not use cushion makeup or add sunscreen with that. It would accentuate the white cast, unless you wanna go all out with the K-pop look (LOL). In any case, be careful when you take pictures with that primer on your face.
Texture-wise, it is a good primer but appearance-wise, I had to learn to tame it (haha). To really blend it well, I use one of my air puffs and use a little amount only.  In Mauritius, having white and pale skin is not that trendy, among Mauritian Chinese. They prefer tanned skin.  But this is changing gradually among K-drama and K-pop fans. I never managed to get tanned easily anyways.
I surely won't recommend it for darker complexions. It is sad that there no primers that could suit all complexions in that line. It is most suitable for paler complexions (like real pale), unfortunately. But I guess it's made on purpose. Do Koreans love having a white cast on their face? But they do prefer their face looking really white. For an effective use of that product, do use an air puff or blender instead of your fingers.

Pros:
-Moisturising
-Light
-Smooth
-Easily blended
-No overpowering smell
-Gives dewy skin and Kpop glow :P
-Neutralises redness very well
-Suitable for acne prone skin (i've used it while having a huge pimple on my cheek-didn't worsen it, ouf)
-Portable
-Long lasting
-Has SPF
-Very affordable

Cons:
-White cast
-The tube squirts out too much product at one go. Wastage guaranteed. 
Except for the white cast, it's a good primer. Maybe I would consider repurchasing it or maybe I'll try some other brands. Let me know which primers you've used before in the comments below. I'd be glad to know what other products there are out there.

STAY BEAUTIFUL AND SWEET!


                 \(^_^)/
AEGYO GIRL

5 comments:

  1. Hi, enjoy reading your review.
    I just bought the same product. Now waiting for the package to arrive and looking forward to try it. Thank you for a good information of the product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi
      Thanks for your comment. Hope you enjoy that product. remember to be light-handed and use only on redness, 'cause it can cause a bit of a white cast.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I actually bought the same product and I have a separate primer
    you stated that this product is like a three in one or something which can be a primer as well.
    I asked the sales lady about it being a primer but she said that it was different- so, I end up putting this product following a primer then foundation. am I doing it wrong? should I not add another primer after applying this

    ReplyDelete